The documents relevant to the 2021 Bicester Branch AGM are available on this post for download prior to the meeting at 2.30 pm Saturday 13th February 2021.
Our Guild representative, Ann Martin, has provided some notes from the last General Committee Meeting of the Oxford Diocesan Guild of bell ringers, held in November 2017.
- There is a vacancy for the General Secretary for the Finance and General purposes committee. If anyone is interested, contacts are on ODG website.
- Education committee: Applications for the Michaelmas and Steeple Aston courses were up this year.
They are asking for help to organise the Michaelmas, Steeple Aston and Radley courses this year, in particular, for Steeple Aston, for arranging and booking the towers. Anyone who would like to volunteer should contact the Education committee, contacts on ODG website.
It is the 25th Radley course this year. They would like to hear from people who attended the first Radley course (and any other of the Radley courses).
- The Dove database is going to be brought up to date and re-housed on the Central Council’s server.
- Subscriptions remain as last year, £8 per member.
- There was a presentation about the new Guild website. In due course, they will be nominating a person from each branch to provide updates for their area.
- There was discussion on the suggestions in Ringing World for ringing on 11th November 2018. The suggestion was to ring muffled in the morning for 11 am, then remove the muffles and ring open later in the day. It was considered that it would be dangerous to remove the muffles with the bells up, but it would cause confusion to ring them down and then ring them up again.
The committee will relay the discussion to Ringing World.
- Safeguarding: Discussions are still ongoing with the Diocesan Safeguarding Officer, in particular with reference to the difficulty in having a safeguarding officer in each tower. This is still to be resolved.
This year’s Branch AGM will be held in Kirtlington on Saturday 18th February.
As in previous years the format of the meeting will be:
|12:30||Lunch – at Kirtlington Golf Club Sample Bar Menu *|
* The pie of the day and specials will be known nearer the day
Papers for the meeting:
On Saturday 20th Feb 11 branch members, one new recruit, and a couple of hangers on attended the branch AGM at Caversfield.
The church was a little cold, but (I hope, talking as the host) the welcome was warm. We started with 30 minutes ringing before the service where we rang plain hunt, Grandsire Doubles and a touch of Plain Bob Doubles.
Given our number was small we all sat in the chancel which, together with 3 gas heaters, made it a little warmer as Penny Wood led our service.
The meeting took around an hour (minutes to follow) with all branch officers being re-elected and 8 new members being elected (from Islip, Kirtlington and Stratton Audley). We then headed for the Bure Farm pub in Bicester for warmth and a lovely lunch.
Our next branch practice is scheduled for Kirtlington next Monday, but as the floor work has been delayed we will likely have to move it to another tower – keep a watchful eye on your emails (and the website event list) for an update shortly.
Our branch AGM this year will be in Caversfield. Please note: park in the lane to Home Farm (opposite side of the road from the church, and slightly further out of Bicester, on the Banbury Road – see the Caversfield page for more details).
The format of the meeting will be as follows:
12:30pm Lunch at the Bure Farm pub, Banbury Road, Bicester OX26 3HA
Papers for the meeting:
- AGM Minutes 2015
- Secretary’s Report
- Ringing Master’s Report 2016
- Webmasters Report 2016
- Guild Representative’s Report 2016
- Discussion Topic 2016
- 2016 bell fund flyer
- Treasurers Report 2016
On Saturday 21st February 10 branch members (from Launton, Bicester, Islip and Charlton on Otmoor), 2 new recruits (also from Bicester) and 2 Guild representatives met at Launton for the Branch AGM. Ringing started at 10:30am with call changes. More call changes followed as I went to prepare for the service – thanks to those who continued running the ringing.
We held a half hour service led by the Rev Becky Mathew and then held our meeting in the church. All officers were re-elected and 3 new members (Samuel Cole, Nicholas Thomas and Amanda Harris, all of Bicester) were elected. Reports were presented (most reports were made available prior to the meeting on the branch website).
As well as a number of guild dates, a few dates of note were mentioned:
- Fri 13th March – trip to Leigh End mini ring in Wheatley – contact Anthony if you wish to come along
- Sat 18th April – branch outing to Bedford area – exact route to be published when all towers booked.
- Sat 5th Sept – Branch BBQ and Striking Competition
Full minutes of the meeting will be made available in due course.
Following the meeting an excellent lunch was enjoyed by many of us in the Black Bull, Launton.
Next branch event will be the Branch Practice in Islip on Tues 3rd March – hopefully see lots of you there.